- Lai Mohammed has said explained why the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway was expanded
- Mohammed said 70% of the traffic coming to Lagos is from the Lagos-Shagamu Exchange
According to the minister, the Lagos-Shagamu comprises three lanes on each side while the Shagamu-Ibadan comprises two lanes on each side
The minister of information, Lai Mohammed on Wednesday, May 9, has explained why the federal government decided to expand the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Vanguard reports.
The minister who was on an inspection of government infrastructural projects across Nigeria inspected two sections of the expressway: from Lagos to Shagamu Interchange and Shagamu Interchange to Ibadan.
Mohammed said: ?Some 70% of the traffic coming to Lagos is from the Lagos-Shagamu Exchange, which explains why the Lagos-Shagamu comprises three lanes on each side while the Shagamu-Ibadan comprises two lanes on each side."
READ ALSO: Why I did not show up at the Senate - IGP Idris speaks up, says he's not an enemy to democracy
Speaking during his tour, Mohammed was briefed by the project engineer, Noar Narkisis who revealed that work on the expressway has reached 58.27% completion.
Narkisis, an engineer with the Reynolds Construction Company (RCC) said there is a current expansion and reinforcement of the road.
He said the RCC was also carrying out maintenance of the existing carriageway to ensure a free flow of traffic and would complete the asphalt-laying phase of the entire 84-kilometer sector before the end of the year.
The engineer told the minister that 4,000 jobs had been created as a result of the highway construction on Section II alone.
READ ALSO: 17 parties to form alliance ahead of 2019, plan to adopt one presidential candidate
Also speaking, the division manager of Julius Berger and the contractor handling Section One from Lagos to the Shagamu Interchange Wolfgang Losesser said, 17 kilometres of the 3-lane, 43-kilometre road had been completed.
?From Shagamu driving toward here, the first 17 kilometres on the Lagos bound side has already been completed. Then you realize that it has gone back to the old two lanes.
Here we are just doing some palliative work because the rainy season is coming and we are working on the drainage,? Losesser said.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria?s #1 new app
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com earlier reported that the federal government had said that the East-West Road project was designed to fail.
The minister of Niger Delta, Usani Usani, while making the disclosure said the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission is set to prosecute 40 contractors for delivering faulty designs on federal contracts including the East-West road.
Usani said the Federal Executive Council had approved N16 billion for the construction of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).
List President Buhari's achievements in two years - on NAIJ.com TV
Source: Naija.ng