collapse collapse

• stats Total Members: 7407603
  • stats Total Posts: 7821103
  • stats Total Topics: 9152641
  • stats Total Categories: 1
  • stats Total Boards: 38
  • stats Most Online: 247702

* Latest Members

Author Topic: Obasanjo 'shocks' Gowon as he exposes 43-year old secret between him and a former commissioner  (Read 1205 times)

makinwa

Obasanjo 'shocks' Gowon as he exposes 43-year old secret between him and a former commissioner

Obasanjo during the launch of Ali?s biography, ?Many Colours Of A Rainbow?, at the Shehu Yar? Adua Centre, Abuja on Thursday, March 1, revealed how he conspired with Ali to occupy a building used by a United States agency.

- A former president has exposed a 43-year old secret between him and an ex-commissioner for education

- Obasanjo said he conspired with Amadu Ali to seize a property being used by a United States agency

- He made the revelation at the launch of Ali's biography in Abuja on Thursday, March 1

A former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, has revealed a 43-year old secret held dearly between him and a former federal commissioner for education, Amadu Ali.

Obasanjo during the launch of Ali?s biography, ?Many Colours Of A Rainbow?, at the Shehu Yar? Adua Centre, Abuja on Thursday, March 1, revealed how he conspired with Ali to occupy a building used by a United States agency, the Nation reports.

He said Ali had approached him (Obasanjo) to seek for intervention over the building in 1975 because, he (Ali), a then commissioner for education needed the building.

Obasanjo said he mobilised soldiers to the building used as an operational office for the agency as early as 4 am.

READ ALSO: 2019: Major defections anticipated as top APC, PDP leaders allegedly get set to move to ?third force? part

The soldiers barricaded the building, prevent staff of the agency from gaining access into the building.

Obasanjo said: ?So a few days after, I conspired with Admadu and mobilised troops to surround the building as early as 4am. When the officials of the agency came to report for work in the morning, soldiers prevented them from entering the building. That was how I seized the building for Ahmadu and his staff."

Then hell was let loose. The United States government protested the action, which sparked a bitter diplomatic row between the U.S. and the then Federal Military Government, headed by Gen. Gowon. Consequently, Obasanjo was summoned to Dodan Barracks, where he said he was tongue-lashed by Gowon and other superior officers at the time.

?I was scolded and dressed down by General Gowon and other superior officers for my actions. I was seriously washed down,? he said.

READ ALSO: Herdsmen arrested for destroying farmland in Benue, Kogi, weapons recovered

He said the then military head of state, Yakubu Gowon, was furious over his actions and tongue lashed him then.

Obasanjo added that Gowon was shocked when the revelation was made.

?General Gowon was shocked earlier this morning when I told him that it was actually Ahmadu that instigated the action. He asked me why I did not say it then and I told him that I did not want to expose my friend," Obasanjo said.

Confirming Obasanjo's story, Gowon who was also present at the event as the father of the day said: ?That incident caused us serious embarrassment and I really tongue-lashed Obasanjo."

But for his good service record, he would have been made to face the consequences. It?s only this morning that he confessed to me that Ahmadu Ali was deeply involved in that action," Gowon added.

He also narrated his student days at the Barewa College, Zaria with Ali.

Gowon said: "That Ahmadu Ali you see there is a short man devil but very intelligent."

He said he and Ali were amateur boxers while in Barewa College and at some point, he had to relinquish his captainship of the school?s boxing club to Ali.

Describing Ali as a good sportsman and fine boxer, the retired general said he had to do that because he was saddled with too many responsibilities.

NAIJ.com earlier reported that Ali had revealed the role Obasanjo played in ensuring that the past president Goodluck Jonathan became a running mate to late Umaru Yar'Adua.

Ali said Jonathan preferred to remain a governor of Bayelsa state and never wanted to become a vice president of the country.

He said Yar'Adua who was selected to run for presidency under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party choose Jonathan as his running mate.

2019 re-election bid: Should President Buhari heed Obasanjo's advice? - on NAIJ.com TV

Source: Naija.ng

Source: Obasanjo 'shocks' Gowon as he exposes 43-year old secret between him and a former commissioner

* Top Boards

• board USA
  • Topics: 1928822 | Posts: 2690551
  • board Russia
  • Topics: 17701 | Posts: 820693
  • board Canada
  • Topics: 1682416 | Posts: 699484
  • board Britain
  • Topics: 976872 | Posts: 624561
  • board Nigeria
  • Topics: 938133 | Posts: 392404
  • board France